Efficacy of epleys maneuver in the management of BPPV

Khalid Munir Cheema, Muhammad Tariq, Mohammad Ismail, Ghulam Murtaza, Mazhar Ul Islam, Mohammad Mujeeb

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Introduction: Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is the most frequent vestibular disorder. In almost all patients it occurs spontaneously and mainly through involvement of the posterior semicircular canal. Treatment consists in vestibular habituation training and in repositioning manoeuvres. Patients and method: 87 patients diagnosed as having BPPV were included and Epleys maneuver performed. Study conducted from January 2008 to August 2010 at ENT department SIMS, Lahore. The cases are described and analyzed and their response to treatment is documented. Results: The vast majority of the patients claimed a dramatic improvement reflected in complete cessation of vertigo 80 patients (92%), the remainder 7 patients (8%) showed either minimal or no improvement at all. Conclusions: The evident advantage with Epley's manoeuvre is that it greatly reduces the time required to obtain a satisfactory result. In addition, it allows patients to return quickly to their daily activities and improves their quality of life.

Original languageEnglish
JournalPakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - Oct 2010
Externally publishedYes


  • BPPV
  • Epley
  • Vertigo


Dive into the research topics of 'Efficacy of epleys maneuver in the management of BPPV'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this