Hair dye poisoning and rhabdomyolysis

Munira Bokutz, Nosheen Nasir, Faisal Mahmood, Sara Sajid

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

10 Citations (Scopus)


Hair dye ingestion is a rare cause of toxicity in Pakistan. We are presenting the case report of a 55 year old male who presented with accidental hair dye ingestion and developed laryngeal oedema requiring emergent tracheostomy. He had also developed aspiration pneumonitis and chemical oesophagitis. However, the most alarming manifestation was rhabdomyolysis. Hair dye toxicity can be fatal if not recognized early. There is no antidote available. Rhabdomyolysis is a complication and needs to be managed aggressively in order to prevent long term morbidity.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)425-426
Number of pages2
JournalJournal of the Pakistan Medical Association
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 2015


  • Hair dye
  • Morbidity
  • Rhabdomyolysis


Dive into the research topics of 'Hair dye poisoning and rhabdomyolysis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this